What is a slot tournament?
In a slot tournament, players compete against each other to win large CASH or FREEPLAY® prizes by accumulating the highest score during multiple rounds of tournament play.
- Tournament machines are just like live money slot machines played on the casino floor, but tournament machines are set into “tournament mode,” so that players will not put any money into a tournament machine or take any money out of it.
- Tournament machines are set on a countdown timer for each round of play. Players are given unlimited “max bet” spins to play during the countdown. Tournament machines may also have bonus features that players may activate during play.
- Countdown timers range from 3-minutes to 15-minutes, depending on the tournament format. All participants will have the same countdown timers for all rounds of play.
- The more bonus features, winning combinations on the reels, and the more spins completed within the countdown, the greater the chances of a high score.
- The total credit meter on the machine at the end of the play is the player’s score for that round.
- The scores for all the rounds of tournament play are totaled to determine the player’s overall tournament rankings. Many tournament formats give players a chance to “toss out” a low score!
What happens at a Slot Tournament?
Players are assigned specific times to play called “session times” during a virtual tournament registration prior to hotel arrival. The player will receive an email or may check the tournament webpage to see what times they were assigned, what machine number, and where tournament play will take place.
- Once at the tournament arena, the emcee will announce when it’s time for each session time group to enter the designated play area.
- Players sit at the machines they were randomly assigned during tournament registration.
- When the tournament timer begins, everyone in the session hits the “spin reels” button and/or the “bonus pop-ups” on their machine and plays for the duration of the countdown.
- Depending on the play format the players may get a small break, change to the next assigned machine, and play again. At the end of each session play, individual scores are recorded.
- Participants are welcome to stay in the tournament area and watch the event.
- Once all participants play and final rankings are recorded participants will return to the tournament arena for the awards ceremony or check online for the winners’ standings.
- All FREEPLAY winnings will be added to the winner’s MGM Rewards accounts after the awards posting. All CASH prizes require paperwork at the tournament arena and will be issued in person at the cashier’s cage.
Are all slot tournaments the same?
Not at all! MGM Resorts strives to provide a unique experience at every slot tournament with varying themes, décor, food, and entertainment. The most common slot tournament format consists of three rounds of play with the lowest score dropped. Other structures include the best three out of four scores and twin tournaments, offering players two tournaments in one weekend with two chances to win. Many formats feature re-buy rounds where players may purchase another round to play to replace a low score. We also feature many bracket-style tournaments, where players have a chance to win prizes at their host resort and advance to an even higher Grand Finale prize pool.
Does it cost money to participate in a slot tournament?
To keep it exciting for all our guests, MGM Resorts offers many different prize formats. Therefore, some tournaments are free, and some require a buy-in. Buy-in tournaments typically have cash prizes and a set number of participants. This ensures more favorable odds and a better chance of winning.
How much can I win?
Prize structures vary depending on the tournament. Top prizes range may from $10,000 in FREEPLAY to $1,000,000 Dollars in CASH!